Candy Cane Christmas...





A few weeks ago I found this candy cane digital stamp at Power Poppy by Marcella Hawley.   I downloaded planning on using it in the future for a Merry Monday Christmas Challenge.   So here it is for their last challenge--create a rustic card.   I always enjoyed visiting this site whether I joined in the challenge or not.  In second grade I made a card with a candy cane on it...I was so happy a couple of months ago when I was going through some old papers of mine and my mothers to find this card.  I'm not sure if one of the earliest cards I ever made is rustic, but it is definitely "vintage" since it was made 58 years ago! (pictures below)  I decided to use the CASE challenge at Global Design Project.   I like the layering of the inspiration card and it served as a guide to the assembling of my card. I fussy cut the image that I printed on cs, and then I started using red colored pencils to color the candy cane, but it just wasn't vibrant enough so I colored over the pencil coloring with my SU real red marker...The bow is lot more vibrant and almost looks velvety.   Perhaps having a coat of colored pencil under the stripes of the canes made them come out more of the real red color.   Because the image is printed, it does blend in some of the black of the detailing.  I used Gumball green for the leaves.  I colored pink pearls for the red berries with a sharpie.  I added some die cut twigs from natural which I painted with wink of stella for a glittery glow.  I added nuvo shimmer to the green leaves.  These details don't really show well in the picture.   I plan on making more of these!       Thanks for stopping by,   Kathy






6 comments:

  1. Lovely card, the candy cane image is wonderful. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the candy canes on the doily- so pretty! So glad you could join us at Merry Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely card Kathy!! I love the vibrant color of red you achieved on the candy cane and bow...will have to remember to use a colored pencil 1st and then marker! Love all the detail and layering on this card too! And your "vintage" card from 58 years ago is priceless...especially the inside! Thanks so much for sharing both of these beauties with us at Merry Monday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. Love the cluster of candy canes against the doily. Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable and those candy canes looks awesome as your focal point. Thanks for playing along this week at Global Design Project. xo Charlet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, rustic card. Thanks for joining us on our last challenge at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete