Mid Century Modern Singer...

 




 





My mom was a fantastic seamstress.   She had very little to work with, but the things she made were always so amazing!   I love making cards that are a nod to her crafting abilities.   With the photo of green clover in mind  I decided to make my sewing machine "green."   Although I no longer have her machine I'm fairly certain it was green.   I went online and found a green singer machine from that time period. so most likely it was green!  The first machine I remember her sewing on was a treadle machine, which did not require electricity, you just rocked the treadle back and forth with your feet.  I (a mid century baby) was about 7 or 8 when the electric machine came along in approximately 1960.   She was so happy and made us girls such pretty clothes, often out of of flour or feed sacks. Last night, I participated in a swap with 5 other card makers. such a fun evening.  We made a card from an SU collection "The Waves of Inspiration"  that is available now.   My card is very simple but reflects the plainness of what my mother would have worked with.  My oldest sister has a picture of herself in a dress that my mom altered from a cousin's dress that my aunt gave her.  I'm fairly certain that it had sequins on it and it was a deep green color (formal dress).  Below are the challenges that I'm linking this card to...Thanks for stopping in and comments are welcomed.    Smiles,  Kathy

Tuesday Morning Sketches  

"sketch"

Inspiration Station  

"Clover Photo"

Can You Handle the Pressure

"Use an Embossing Folder with a twist--use plaid"

This is my first time participating at this blog.   The EB folder is an SU folder for texturizing, reminds me of white "wedding gown" fabric--it gives the cs a slight sheen and you can stamp your sentiment on it!

In case you want to see a Treadle Machine in action

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your memories of your Mother, those memories brought back memories of my own Mother who had a treadle machine as well. The machine was Black and Gold and folded down into the cabinet which my mother placed an emboridered cloth over when she wasn't sewing. Thanks for sharing your lovely project with us at The Inspiration Station Challenge.
    Donna
    The Inspiration Station Challenge
    The Paper Funday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! I remember those old Singer machines! Thanks so much for playing in our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure … we appreciate your support and hope to see you again next challenge!
    Darlene
    CAN YOU HANDLE THE PRESSURE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    P.S. thanks for also sharing in our challenge at Inspiration Station! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sweet card! Thank you for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card, and TFS your sweet memories!!
    Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches
    Debbie - TMS DT
    Debbie's Dash of This and That

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty with the green machine, my Mom had the same machine and sewed us girls lots of clothes, what a fun memory post! Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure!
    Diane CYHTP DT {Nellies Nest}
    {Can You Handle The Pressure}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe when I was a little one about Kindergarten age, my mom sewed all of my dresses for school. Don't really remember what it looked like, but don't think hers was quite that old. What a really great card you've made with the nod to the mid century sewing machine! Love the plaid! It's always fun to stamp with friends for sure! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is so cute; love the "old" sewing machines! Thank you for sharing with us at CYHTP Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those old Singer sewing machines - the patterned paper looks perfect set behind it and what a great sentiment!

    ReplyDelete